Thursday, December 20, 2007

An Afternoon at Hueco

Today I was back home at Hueco Tanks. Trying to relate what its like to go back to a home like that is hard.

The feel of the rock, the sun, the mesquite, the cactus, the octillio, the sand, the wildlife, the history, the memories.... the quiet. The awe. There is only place in this world that I would consider sacred to me and that is Hueco Tanks.

Its hard to explain to people on the East Coast the overwhelming desire to be in the open desert and amongst nature and sky. I thrive on the eco-system of the Southwestern desert. It formed me.

Natalie and I spent a few hours this afternoon doing our traditional bouldering circuit before the sun went down. It was wonderful. I'm not going to want to leave although I know I must.

We'll be climbing every other day while we are out here.

Hopefully in the next 6 months I can take some weekends to come home and climb.

I need it.

No comments: